Comp Claim To Tackle?

Call Sawers & Sackel.

Common mistakes people make after suffering a workplace injury

On Behalf of | Aug 18, 2020 | Workers' Compensation

A severe injury can dramatically change your life. Whether it’s temporary or permanent, injuries can cause terrible stress, trauma and challenges that you never expected.

If you sustain an injury in the workplace, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation, which can cover medical expenses and a percentage of lost wages. But to receive those benefits, you must act promptly.

The following are mistakes commonly made after workplace injuries:

  • Not reporting the injury – After an injury, you should report it to your supervisor at once. In New York, you must notify your supervisor of the incident and injury in writing within 30 days. If you wait too long, you may compromise your right to compensation.
  • Not reporting all injuries – If you sustain multiple injuries from the accident, you should disclose all of them when you first file your report. Any undisclosed injuries, or revealing them later, can be considered fraud or an attempt to receive more compensation than entitled.
  • Not keeping track of all medical documents – You should seek medical care as soon as possible after an accident and keep all medical reports and other documents in a safe place. This information will help you when filing for workers’ compensation.
  • Not going back to work – When you are able, you should return to work after your injury. You might not want to work for a lower income or with a lighter workload but refusing to return to work may be voluntary loss of income, which can affect your right to benefits.
  • Not consulting an attorney – The more severe your injury, the more you may need benefits to get you through the aftermath. To ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve, you should talk with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney who can help you through the process.

If you are confused by the process or worried you may not receive as much compensation as you deserve, reach out to an attorney who can protect your interests.